Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thoughts on a difficult day...

February 4th holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons. First off, 9 years ago, I married the person who means the most to me in this life and in the life to come, Amy. We picked this day because I guess we thought there was something special in the numerical date (2-4-00, two for eternity if you imagine the zero's as that sideways 8 symbol that means infinity in math). My sister, Jerri Lynn, know affecinetly as Sis, was also born of February 4th. Today, it takes on a new meaning, though maybe not as happy as the others. Since I seem to be having a touch of the flu or whatever other germ is going around, I laid back down to bed after I had gotten up. About 2pm, as I was still asleep, Amy brought the phone into me, my mother had called. While it may not be unusual for a mother to talk to her son, my mom knows that first, I'm not a great coversationalist. I am a very get to the point person on the phone, and second, if it's something important, it's best to tell Amy as I will forget some detail. After saying hello, I could tell immedietly from my mother's voice what she had to tell me. My Grammie (the name we always called my father's mother) had passed away. The event was not unexpected, but as these things allway do, it came as a shock. It took me a moment to compose my thoughts on what to say next. I felt the immedient comfort of the Holy Spirit which calmed me. My thoughts then turned to my family. I was happy to hear my father was doing well, or at least as well as you can be when faced with that situation. I began to think about the many memories I had of my grandmother. Her and my Aunt Pricilla listening to my stupid impressions as a kid. Warm apricot empenatas cooling on the stove right after they got out of the oven. Stopping to see her at her house on the edge of Thatcher after visiting Grandma Gibbons in Safford. I am greatful for the woman she was, and her strength, especially thru her last few year as she battled kidney disease and complications for diabetes. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to see her in Thatcher last year, and that Amy and the kids were with me. I was amazed how much chinese food a little woman who might have been 5 foot in her shoes with a inch or two of heel could put away. She put me to shame that day. I am especially greatful for my Aunt Pricilla who gave so much of herself these last few years to help Grammie with her doctors appointments and shopping and household chores. I hope she is comforted and that she may know that death isn't the end of life, and that families can continue for all eternity. I pray for that comforting spirit to be with all my family, wherever they may be. I wish I could be there for each of you, and want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

This evening, while thinking of things entirely different, I came across a short story recorded by a favorite musician of mine, Sam Payne. It turnes out he does a brief weekly thought for a internet radio station he is involved with. This week, he told of a dream he had years ago sitting with his deceased grandfather and grandmother as they reminiced about life over a glass of lemonade. It seemed to some up so many of my thougts exactly, and I wanted to share it. I hope that each of us can someday share an experience like Sam dreampt with our loved ones when the time comes for us to leave this mortal life and cross the veil to the next.

I am greatful for the blessings of the temple, that families can be together forever. I am greatful for the great sacrifice of Christ, that through his atonement, we can all return to the presence of God someday. I hope someday I have the opportunity to sit with Grammie and my loved ones over some lemonade and talk about the memories we share.

No comments: